For each of the six questions choose the one correct answer
1. According to the proverb, ‘There’s no smoke without _______’.
c. burning the dinner
d. (a) fire
2. If you memorise something, for example a poem or speech so you know
it without reading it, you learn it by ________.
3. If you tell the truth after initially lying, you ________.
a. come clean
b. go clean
c. come dirty
d. go dirty
4. “People who live in glass houses ________”.
a. shouldn’t walk around naked.
b. should always buy curtains.
c. shouldn’t throw stones.
d. clean their windows regularly.
5. “He’s turned over a new leaf” What has he done?
a. He’s made a new start, promised to be better.
b. He’s taken an interest in gardening.
c. He’s started a new job.
d. He’s been collecting insects.
6. If you’ve been ‘burning the candle at both ends’, you have _________.
a. been having lots of dinner parties.
b. working hard and going to bed late.
c. going to church a lot.
d. experimenting with new recipes in the kitchen.
IDIOMS 3 answers
d. Correct. The proverb says ‘There’s no smoke without (a) fire.’
c. Correct. It means you should not criticise someone for having a fault if
you have the same fault yourself.
a. Correct. The prisoner decided to turn over a new leaf when he got out of