GRAMMAR TEST – 35
1. …… the time your son reaches school age he ought to be able to dress himself fairly quickly.
2. In his new post in the army, he will be responsible ……….. the coordination of relief supplies to the refugees.
3. The new president is generally regarded as ….. effective leaders the country has had in decades.
B) the most
C) the other
D) one of the most
E) more than
4. The minister is determined to develop the communications system ….. the costs involved will be a serious burden on the budget.
A) so that
D) as if
E) even though
5. She was terribly disappointed with the decision of the board,….. he gave in his resignation.
D) in case
6. …… of the questions they asked at the meeting were … what I expected.
A) Some / more
B) Each / such
C) All / so as
D) Any / about
E) None / quite
7. She ….. the advantages and the disadvantages of the takeover when I …….. them an hour or so later.
A) will discuss/would rejoin
B) have discussed/am rejoining
C) are discussing/will rejoin
D) was discussing/rejoined
E) would discuss/had rejoined
8. At tomorrow’s concert the band ….. by Hanz von Beicher.
A) will have conducted
B) will conduct
C) has been conducted
D) will be conducted
E) is going to conduct
9. No one….. appointed since the two companies ….. merged.
A) are / would be
B) were / have been
C) are going to be / have
D) would have been / are being
E) has been / were
10. We were prevented ….. completing the project….. time due to unexpected problems.
A) from / on
B) in / by
C) by / in
D) at / over
E) for / about
11. Despite the strong wind they were able to put out the fire before it……..
A) fell of
B) was taken into account
C) was held out
D) got out of hand
E) broke up
12. It is likely that, by the end of the year the costs involved in the construction of bridge ….. by the Prime Minister.
A) would have been announced
B) would be announced
C) are being announced
D) will have been announced
E) have been announced
13. We …… no news of her at all since she ………. for Nigeria.
A) have had/left
B) had had/has left
C) will have had/will have
E) have had/has left
14. Even in classical times there were people with a …… ethical approach to education than one can find in the last two centuries.
15. Plenty of evidence has come to light to prove that Mike has been involved …… smuggling.
16. Melanie: It’s a pity. You …… this morning. Because I forgot to tell you that the clock in the living room was ten minutes fast.
Bennie: Don’t worry. I…… Because I knew about that.
A) didn’t need to rush / needn’t have rushed
B) needn’t have rushed / needn’t have rushed
C) needn’t have rushed / needed to rush
D) didn’t need to rush / didn’t need to rush
E) needn’t have rushed / didn’t need to rush
17. The high rate of inflation obviously puts a great strain …… most of the working families.
18. Some of the committee members are convinced that the price is ….. high to be accepted.
19. The new accountant we have recruited is not….. good at his job….. the previous one.
20. …… well one may think of Mary, one must admit that she’s too old for the job.
21. Could this possibly be the firm’s new buyer ….. fame, if we are to believe the newspapers, is not quite what it should be?
22. Authorities have always given ….. importance to the development of recreational facilities.
23. Last month’s supplementary budget package …… to prevent Japan’s economy from plunging even lower.
A) was designed
B) has designed
C) had designed
D) would be designed
E) is being designed
24. If you ….. to promote her, you …. so right away.
A) are meaning /did
B) meant / will have to do
C) have meant / had to do
D) mean / must do
E) were meaning / had done
25. Several specialists were working on the project, and each came up with some interesting proposals, and naturally ….. claimed that …… was the best.
A) many / each
B) some / its
C) we / it
D) all / he
E) each / hers
|TEST 33||TEST 34||TEST 35||TEST 36||TEST 37||TEST 38||TEST 39||TEST 40|