GRAMMAR TEST – 41
1. They haven’t met for nine years or more, but I understand they still write to ……… at regular intervals.
A) the other
B) each other
D) the others
E) one another
2. Of all the policies put into effect by the Adams governments ….. controversial was the economic one.
B) the more
C) the most
3. The sad expression on his face …… clearly that he …… with the result of the exam.
B) shows/is disappointed
C) is shown/is disappointed
D) has shown/disappointed
E) showed/had disappointed
4. For nearly a two decades most governments in the world …… to find ways of combating environmental problems.
B) would have tried
D) could try
E) have been trying
5. Emily buys whatever music cassette she finds. She ……. music.
A) must like
B) should have liked
C) should have been liked
D) might like
E) must have liked
6. When Mr. Brown had nodded ….. approval, the chairman moved ….. to the next item on the agenda.
7. Henry Gomez, probably ……… famous anthropologist in the world today has revolutionized the way anthropology is taught on campuses.
C) the most
D) the more
8. There ….. many efforts to wipe out racism, but very little success ……….
A) were / had been achieved
B) have been / would have been achieved
C) have been / has been achieved
D) are / was achieved
E) may be / will have been achieved
9. Had she apologized for deliberately overcharging me, I….. a complaint the Consumers Rights Office.
A) will not have filed
B) may not have filed
C) would not have filed
D) was not filing
E) may not file
10. The solution of the problem ….. great art can exist independently of religion will, … depend on society’s moral and aesthetic values.
A) what / in the same way
B) even if / in due course
C) whether / to a large extent
D) so that / in short
E) since / now and again
11. The Hanahians, who …….. a great part of Italy about 900 B.C., …… from Asia Minor.
A) had colonized / originally came
B) colonized / had originally come
C) were colonized / have originally come
D) have colonized / originally come
E) were colonizing / might originally come
12. Melting….. the process by which a solid ….. into liquid by heat.
A) had been / resolved
B) was / had resolved
C) has been / was resolved
D) may be / has resolved
E) is / is resolved
13. The economy of most Arab countries is largely based ….. oil exports.
14. ….. you can get the experiments completed ……. you can get the report prepared.
A) As soon as/as soon
B) The sooner/the sooner
C) The soonest/sooner
D) As soon/the sooner
E) sooner/the soonest
15. For six years she ….. as private secretary to the bank manager.
A) has been working
C) was working
E) used to work
16. Living conditions in a village are obviously unhygienic, ….. life in a big city is also potentially dangerous.
E) even though
17. Mary said she couldn’t make it on Thursday or Friday; I told her I couldn’t, ……….. .
E) as well
18. It is just possible that there is ….. reason behind her refusal of this prize.
C) the others
19. It….. that regulations regarding imports …….. before the end of this year.
A) had been expected / would be lifted
B) expects / are lifting
C) are expected / had lifted
D) have been expected / are lifted
E) is expected / will be lifted
20. Indeed, on both sides, it….. that the decisive battles ……… on the plains and southeast England.
A) has to be foreseen / has been fighting
B) has been foreseen / has been fought
C) could have been foreseen / will fight
D) had been foreseen / would be fought
E) will be foreseen / could be fought
21. The judge decided to call….. of the witnesses only and paid no attention to ……. .
A) both / others
B) the two / any other
C) two / the others
D) some / another
E) any / some others
22. In recent decades the efficiency of the Union………. by a growing number of countries.
A) will have been questioned
B) was questioned
C) had been questioned
D) would be questioned
E) has been questioned
23. Today the expansion of knowledge in sociology, psychology, and anthropology is …… vast and complex, and multiplying ….. quickly to be mastered fully.
A) so / that
B) just as / as
C) as well / as
D) so / so
E) too / too
24. If the others hadn’t voted in favour of the older candidate, I probably wouldn’t have done so ……… .
D) as well
25. Is there any possibility that solar energy … extensively by the end of the millennium?
A) has been used
B) was used
D) will be used
E) has used
|TEST 41||TEST 42||TEST 43||TEST 44||TEST 45||TEST 46||TEST 47||TEST 48|