GRAMMAR TEST – 75
GRAMMAR TEST -75
1. The only way ___ cutting down waste is to recycle such things ___ glass and paper.
2. Some of these new drugs capable ___ curing a variety of
diseases are occasionally hazardous ____ use or disposal.
A) about/ with
D) by/ through
3. Since he failed to reply in time, the organizers took his name ___ the list.
4. The judge ruled that the evidence given by the witnesses at the trial was not considerable ____ to prove the doctor guilty of negligence.
B) all right
5. ___ of the information he gave could have been found in an dictionary.
A) A few
E) A great many
6. The manager has promised that ___ finds a solution to this
particular problem will be well awarded.
C) the one
7. I was greatly impressed by both the qualifications and the
personality of the candidate, but ___ on the selection committee was.
A) all the rest
B) several others
D) hardly anyone else
E) most of the others
8. A number of members of the research team haven’t handed in their reports yet, and I must admit I haven’t ___ .
A) as well
9. Why don’t you take your attorney with you to the meeting ____ there are problems he can deal with for you?
B) even if
C) as ever
E) in case
10. Weren’t they supposed _____ a detailed study of the area before they chose the location for the new factory?
A) to have to make
B) to have made
D) having made
E) to be made
11. Since he became the chairman of the firm, he ___ used to
working late, and he seems to enjoy it.
A) has got
C) was getting
D) had got
E) will be getting
12. Until the last second we could not find out whether or not he ___ to sign the treaty.
A) will agree
B) would agree
C) has agreed
D) is going to agree
E) has to agree
13. By the end of the 20th century all the countries in the United Nations ___ a political union.
B) have formed
C) are forming
D) are being formed
E) will have formed
14. The banks complained that they ___ enough notice regarding the new monetary policy.
A) are not being given
B) are not given
C) haven’t given
D) had not been given
E) not be giving
15. Hardly ever ___ such a gathering of well-known scientists from So many different countries.
A) there was
B) there has been
C) has there been
D) would there have been
E) there had been
16. The rescue workers ___ able to save some of those who ___ still alive under the rubble.
A) should be/were
B) may be/are
C) might have been/ have been
D) will be/would be
E) were/will be
17. There ……. many efforts to eradicate racism, but very little success ……..
A) were/had been achieved
B) have been/would have been achieved
C) have been/has been achieved
D) are/was achieved
E) might be/would have been achieved
18. He ……. his paper by saying that the whole history of the human race …….. by transfers of cultural and technological advance from one civilization to another.
A) concluded/had been marked
B) concludes/would have been marked
C) has concluded/was marked
D) had concluded / is marked
E) will conclude / was being marked
19. Evaporation …….. the practice by which a solid or liquid ……… into vapour by heat
A) had been/resolved
B) was/had resolved
C) has been / was resolved
D) may be/has resolved
E) is/is resolved
20. The Etruscans, who ………. a vast part of Italy about 900 B.C. ………. from Asia Minor.
A) had colonized/originally came
B) colonized/had originally come
C) were colonized/have originally come
D) have colonized/originally come
E) were colonizing/might originally come
21. The orders were that we ……… the area within hours to stop further loss of lives.
A) had evacuated
B) have to evacuate
C) will have evacuated
D) shall have to evacuate
E) had to evacuate
22. Economic recession and rising unemployment, coupled …….. increases …….. retail food prices, have reduced consumption.
23. The progress in the steel industry has been marked ……. a progressive increase …….. size, complexity and capital outlay.
24. The answer to the question ……. great art can exist independently of religion will, ……… depend on society’s moral and aesthetic principles.
A) what /in the same way
B) even if/ in due course
C) whether/to a large extent
D) so that/in short
E) since/now and again
25. Thailand has lost two-thirds of its forests …… its population has ……… doubled in current decades.
A) as/more than
B) just as/mostly
C) so as/soon
D) in case/quite
E) because of/much
|TEST 73||TEST 74||TEST 75||TEST 76||TEST 77||TEST 78||TEST 79||TEST 80|